Saturday, December 5, 2009

Highlight Reel of SM 2210

As a wrap-up, I would like to summarize my experience in this course. I remember I was very nervous the first week in class. I do not consider myself to be a sports nut and although I like playing and watching sports, I am not very knowledgeable. As we went through the first few weeks, I realized that I would be alright because the class focused on history and philosophical aspects relating to sports. Also, reading the book and articles were useful tools to understanding the topics of the class more completely. I am sure that if I was more knowledgeable about sports in general I would have been able to participate more in class discussion, but I feel I did the best I could.

There were two things that I really liked about this course. The first was all of the in-class discussions and philosophical discussion board questions. The other was the ethical presentations. The topics in the course allowed for great discussions to be had in class and on the discussion board. For example, a few of the topics from class were things like, do youth sports build character and why is soccer not a staple sport in America. I found that I was talking to people outside of class about these topics, because I think it is very interesting to hear others opinions. Whether their opinions were different or the same as mine the topics from class made for good conversation.

I thought it was going to be very difficult to talk about an ethical sports topic for my presentation because I did not realize just how many ethical issues there were surrounding sports. Although I was not able to comment on some of the topic because it was my first time hearing about the issue, I thought the majority of them created a lot of class discussion. I was surprised to hear some of the reactions from classmates, such as the discussion that the sportsmanship topic created. This part of the class really captured the philosophy side of sports and that is why it was so intriguing to me.

I am taking much more away from this course than just having learned about facts and dates of important times in the history of sports. Thinking back on the course as a whole, I feel that the most important thing I am able to do is to analyze and think about sports differently. I understand that some people are sports addicts and there is nothing wrong with that. I was able to see that come through in some of my classmates’ comments. I like sports a lot; I think that sports are a great form of entertainment and news. But sports are not life. I still can’t wrap my mind around why people get so amped up over a sporting event or sports team. I see sports as a part of life, but not life. Because at the end of the day, whether you win, lose or tie, life goes on.

One of my personal favorites from class was creating a blog. I really like technology of course that aspect interested me. But as for the class, I liked being able to expand on topics that were discussed or to address other sports related topics that were happening throughout the world. I enjoyed reading my classmates blog more than I liked writing my own posts. It was fascinating to read all the different posts, but also to read the similar posts and the differing view we all had on the same topic. Blogs can be a good medium for people who may not be as comfortable talking in front of people to express their ideas. I know for me I was able to collect my thoughts on a topic and do some research to support my opinions and then write a blog reflecting my ideas. Creating a blog also allowed for extra things, such as links to relating articles, pictures, and video clips, to be added to the posts. Technology is always advancing and I really like being able to utilize these new skills in class.

How will this class impact my future career? Part of me is still trying to pinpoint the answers to this question. I am still unsure as to exactly what I want to do, but the path I am on right now is event planning. It is very possible that a possible career field could be event planning for sporting teams. Do I think that I will use the names and dates learned throughout this course in my future career? Probably not, but as I mentioned I learned and was exposed to much more than just that in class. I think I will be able to use the philosophy aspect form class in all that I do. Sports are always going to be involved in my life in some way, so this class has had an impact on my life.

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and would recommend it all. One of the first lectures in class, Dr. Spencer told us to take advantage of all the opportunities that are presented to us, so to sign off for the final time this semester are some lyrics from the DMB song Lie in Our Graves.

“I can’t believe that we would lie in our graves, wondering if we had spent all our living days well.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is a great concluding entry, Kara. You did a great job of reflecting on the class and the topics that were most meaningful to you. I had to chuckle when I read the part about sports not being life. I for one, tend to forget that sometimes, so it was a good reminder. I will definitely take into consideration the topics and activities that you found most interesting, and hope to continue them in the coming semesters. Best of luck to you as you consider the options that are available to you in your future career path!

    ReplyDelete