Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ethical Presentation: Tiger Woods


On Wednesday, December 2, a presentation was giving on a recent news story concerning yet another sports star ruining their public image. Tiger Woods, wholesome, committed, family-man, rocked his public image with the recent allegations and charges brought against him. With so many stories surrounding this case it’s hard to know what to believe. I am really glad that the guys gave this presentation because I think it raises two important questions. One is the question that was posed in class, “Were Tiger’s choices ethical…?” The other, more important question I think this raises though, is, “Should we even be worried about issues like this?”

From how I understand it, the facts of the case are that allegations were made at some point that Tiger has been and/or still is cheating on his wife with one or two women. All of these stories were blowing up in the news and media recently because on Friday, November 27, 2009, Tiger crashed his car around 2:30A.M. into a fire hydrant when he was leaving his house. Tiger is a public figure so naturally people are going to be nosey and want to know what is going on in his life, especially when things start to take a downward spin. Why was he leaving his house early in the morning? Why was the back window smashed in with a golf club? Why wasn’t he wearing shoes? The police department eventually will have to have these questions answered for their reports.

Tiger is a public figure so he is going to be in the public eye. I feel like all Tiger needs to do is just make a statement to the police answering the questions concerning the car accident. THAT IS ALL. As for any of the other question, he doesn’t owe anyone any answers but his wife, Elin. That is his private life and it should stay that way. Why are we so concerned with sports stars personal lives? They don’t owe us any answers or apologies. Some may say that sports stars and celebrities need to own up to their poor choice because they are looked up to and are role models for the youth. I think that situations where the sports stars make bad choice while playing their sports, such as those of Elizabeth Lambert, or Serena Williams, need to be addressed and apologized for. But not issues that happen at home. It blows my mind that stories like this make the regular news channels. How is that news? There are plenty of other stories that could be told that actually matter and affect people. Tiger Woods committing adultery is not public news!

As for Tigers’ public image though, he has really messed that up. We will never be able to look or think about Tiger Woods in the same way, but I don’t think his game will suffer because of it. Public image is important for sports stars it can lead to things like addition revenue because of endorsements. Reports have said that Tiger is not going to lose his endorsements or sponsorships and he is not hurting financially. Tiger has lost is his respect and credibility. When you think about the big picture of sports related to life, what Tiger lost was more important than what he was able to keep.
“I Did It, Guilty As Charged” [DMB; I Did It]

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for complimenting our presentation Kara, yours was not so bad either. I think Tiger Woods screwed up big time. That is an obvious statement since Gatorade, Accenture, and other sponsors have dropped Tiger since he admitted to his Wilt Chamberlain lifestyle. This guy was married to one of the most gorgeous woman in the world, and he couldn't have handled his infidelity any worse. Worse damage control I have ever seen by a celebrity or athlete. Kobe Bryant raped a chick and he came out the next day with a press conference and it was yesterdays news before we knew it. No pun intended, but this is one of the worst approaches Tiger has had in awhile. Right now he is the butt of all jokes, while his wife is probably beside herself upset. That being said, if Tiger somehow manages to sustain his marraige and isn't taken for everything he has by Elin, then he is the most powerful athlete in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Tiger Woods did screw up but I dont think its nessecary for the media to report on this issue as muc has they are. Tiger Woods is human just like everyone else and people need to understand its okay for him to make mistakes.
    I feel that Tiger Woods is going to bounce back from this. It may not happen overnight but I feel that Tiger will hopefully learn from his mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to read all of your comments in light of all that has come out since Kara first posted her entry. At that time, we thought maybe he had cheated with one or two women. Now, the count has risen to maybe 14. At this point, I am not sure that the number really matters--it is a sex scandal beyond imaginable proportions and will definitely forever taint Tiger's image. Should it? I think because it is about a lifestyle that is diametrically opposed to the image Tiger wanted to convey, it does matter to the public. Personally, I do not want to hear any more details from the supposed mistresses and women he slept with, but I do feel badly for Elin and the children, who undoubtedly bear the brunt of Tiger's multiple indiscretions!

    ReplyDelete